Education: University degree with at least two years of coursework in computer sciences or demonstrable on-the-job equivalent experience.
5 years of experience providing Level Two technical desktop and network support in an MSP or large multi-platform and multi-operating systems environment.
5 years of experience managing firewalls and perimeter security. Fortinet NSE Certified is highly desired!
Job Title: Sr. Network Engineer
Specialization: Perimeter Security Management
Design, build, and manage the security infrastructure of information technology (IT) systems. This includes installing hardware, configuring firewalls, setting up virtual private networks (VPNs), and adding upgrades. Successful candidates will engage with clients, relaying information about projects and troubleshooting all issues discovered.
The candidate will be proficient in change management and disaster response, and they actively apply policies and standards to all projects. Must be able to work independently as well as function within a team of other engineers.
Network Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
Engineers are responsible for handling several daily tasks.
- Design Security Systems – Engineers review client requirements for security systems and collaborate with other engineers and developers to decide on an overall technical approach. Once they reach an agreement with the client, they proceed with creating specific designs.
- Install and Maintain Firewalls – Engineers direct the installation of both the software and hardware components of firewalls along with other portions of security infrastructure. They also configure firewalls for usage, manage their day-to-day operations, and perform regular maintenance through upgrades and patches.
- Troubleshoot Issues – Engineers monitor security devices and applications for performance problems and provide troubleshooting support for clients. When issues arise, they must analyze the root cause and resolve them promptly while updating clients all throughout.
- Write Documentation – Aside from preparing status reports for clients, engineers will document procedures, device statuses, firewall block lists, and other important technical areas. They also create diagrams of network topologies and record details of troubleshooting processes.
- Ensure Compliance – Standards and policies are extremely important when it comes to network security, and firewall engineers should be aware of these, keeping abreast of changes and defining processes for compliance. In addition, they enforce quality control and ensure that all output meets project requirements.
Network Engineer Skills and Qualifications
Network Engineers are problem-solvers with a strong technical aptitude. They communicate well with clients and other members of their team, and they hold their work to high standards, optimizing performance and resolving all errors. In addition to a bachelor’s degree in computer engineering, computer science, or a related field, employers look for network engineers with the following skills:
- Expertise in computer security – network engineers must have advanced knowledge of computer security and networking. They are familiar with the underlying theories and can diagnose issues, build infrastructure, and work with related software.
- Problem-solving skills – this role requires much problem-solving since network engineers must be able to apply their technical expertise across various client environments and solve any obstacles that arise
- Customer service – network engineers interact with clients during all phases of the project, from planning to maintenance. They must be mindful of client needs and clearly communicate complex information.
- Attention to detail – as with most other jobs that involve working with technology, network engineers must be meticulous and detail-oriented, examining every aspect of the system to guarantee security and spot computer bugs or anomalous activity while they’re still minor.
- Time management – it’s common for network engineers to multitask, as they often take on several projects at the same time while debugging problems reported by customers and coordinating with other team members.
Experience with the following is highly desired for this position.
- Fortinet Network security hardware
- Network analysis software (Sniffer, Wireshark, Microsoft Network Monitor)
- Visio network diagram software
- ConnectWise Automate, ConnectWise Manage, IT Glue, Auvik
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
LICENSE: This position requires the use of a personal or company-owned vehicle while conducting company business. Must possess a valid Michigan driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to perform physical activities, such as but not limited to, lifting heavy equipment (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing, or walking. Must be willing to submit to criminal and civil background checks.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Occasional nights or weekends as required
- Bonus pay
- One location
WE’RE LOOKING FOR TOP TALENT
Are you what we’re looking for? Fill out the form below and we will be in touch!